You will be responsible for planning, launching and managing various projects of differing sizes centred on the development of commercial vehicle electrified drivetrains and battery systems. These projects span various stages of development from early stage R&D through to later stage product development and include collaborative projects where you will need to manage relationships across external stakeholders (universities, third party companies, funding bodies).
You will play a key leadership role in driving the success of these projects and will operate with a high degree of autonomy. You have relevant experience of managing projects in an engineering environment, ideally automotive, and a technical understanding/appreciation of electrified powertrain systems.
You are comfortable dealing with ambiguity and change in a dynamic, fast-paced, results orientated environment. An excellent communicator at all levels and across all departments you are the glue that keeps progress moving seamlessly on. You are organised, methodical and take a systematic approach. You have proven experience in successfully delivering relevant projects with a 1-2 year timeframe with teams of 5-20 people.
The role presents an excellent opportunity for the right candidate to have a real impact on cutting edge EV technology projects as well as the way the business conducts and manages its projects.
Responsibilities and Activities
- Creation of project definitions – working with project sponsors and key stakeholders to agree the goals and scope of new projects
- Planning of projects based on business priorities, engineering teams, supply chain and production teams feedback and resource constraints, alongside your own judgement based on previous experience
- Effectively launching projects and ensuring the team have a detailed and shared understanding.
- Responsibility for execution and communication of the plan to stakeholders within the business.
- Capturing and managing risks and issues on projects, ensuring timely mitigation/resolution
- Defining project communication requirements (meeting cadences etc.) and owning the implementation of these. Chairing project meetings
- Escalation of issues to senior members of staff as needed
- Tracking costs and managing these to a defined budget. Submission of monthly/quarterly cost summaries (frequency depending on project requirements)
- Scope management throughout a project’s life, ensuring change is effectively managed including evaluating and communicating changes effectively to help guide the right way forward.
- Ensure the quality of the deliverables are in line with project definition and expectations.
- Continuous improvement of how projects are managed and playing an active role in defining the best way to deliver efficiently
Skills and Experience
- Degree in engineering, science, business, management or similar
- Candidates will be judged on an individual basis, but a typical applicant would possess;
- 3+ years’ experience managing projects of a similar nature to the role with a technical understanding of the products being developed
- Experience in leading early stage R&D and product development projects, understanding of how to plan these types of projects
- Experience operating in a start-up or SME environment with little existing framework and figuring out the best way to get things done that focusses on value and limits red-tape
- Very strong communication skills at all levels of the business across email, large meetings, conference calls and one to one
- Proactive and takes initiative – spots potential problems and takes lead to tackle them early, thinks of ways to do things better and takes action to make the business more efficient
- Driven and persistent – you have a real desire to deliver and aim to find a way forward that doesn’t compromise on the plan. Able to take difficult/unpopular decisions.
- Able to work at a macro and micro level, never losing sight of the project purpose while being able to dig into the detail to facilitate issue resolution when required
- Excellent problem-solving skills, able to think on your feet and a desire to take ownership and see work through to a conclusion
- Skilled with MS suite, good data analysis skills (ideally within Excel)
- Good data analysis skills (ideally within excel)
- Some technical understanding of EV drivetrains, ideally including batteries
- Experience operating in a start-up or similar environment with little existing framework and figuring out the best way to get things done that focusses on value and limits red-tape
- Experience working in a technical role (as an engineer or similar) on electrified powertrain projects
- Experience in the Automotive/Commercial Vehicle industry, ideally in a project management capacity
- Familiar with MS Project or other similar project management software
- Knowledge of common project management theory and techniques – e.g. Prince 2, Agile/Scrum
Vantage Power explicitly rejects any obligations, conditions or terms and conditions attached to any CV, profile or email. All agreements are subject to contract.